Thursday, June 21, 2012

Are you a Driver or a Passenger?

As I was walking out of the grocery store the other day I noticed a woman walking to her SUV. She clicked her remote and the rear hatch opened. Then she got in and the hatch closed by itself. She started the car and the seat belt engaged automatically. I'm sure her GPS, Bluetooth phone, climate control, seat adjustment, mirrors and everything else was done for her. We as a society are becoming mere passengers, not drivers, of our own vehicles. We chat with friends, surf the internet, text, and shop while our vehicles deliver us to our destination. We are oblivious to our surroundings. As a motorcycle rider, this kind of scares me as I traverse the roads. I have to be even more aware of my surroundings. In contrast to these "cagers", those of us that ride bikes have a totally different experience. We almost never start a ride without suiting up in proper protective riding attire. We do a safety check of our bike - tire pressure, lights, brakes, etc. We mount our bike and become one with a machine. Our legs are literally wrapped around the engine and our feet and hands are in complete control at all times. We adjust the mirrors, start the engine, and with every twist of the throttle, we feel the vibration of the engine, smell the gasoline that fuels it, and hear every tick, rattle, and hum that indicates the performance of our machine. We rely on our instruments to monitor speed and performance - no cruise control, no Bluetooth, no GPS. The motorcycle goes where we direct it at all times. Our lives depend on what we see, hear, feel, and control. As inherently dangerous as riding a bike can be, I feel safer in many ways because I am ENGAGED totally in the operation of the machine that transports me. I'm a RIDER, not a passenger. Why should driving a car or truck be any different? Turn off the phone. Put it away and pay attention to your surroundings, your instruments, and your actions. The life you save might be your own - or mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment