Monday, August 17, 2009

Helmets, seatbelts, and proper training

I've been readining a lot lately about people being killed on motorcycles, bicycles, airplanes, and even cars. Accidents happen - I get that. But when I think about how many of these accidents could have been prevented by proper training, and even more importantly the deaths and/or serious injuries that could have been prevented by wearing proper safety gear, it makes me sick. I've been riding motorcycles for almost 30 years. I've never ridden without a helmet - ever. I've never crashed, but if I had, I probably would have survived. Five friends and co-workers I've known over the years are gone now becasue they chose not to wear a helmet. One guy had his helmet firmly strapped to the seat behind him when a car pulled out in front of him. He and the bike went down at about 30mph. He died on the scene from head injuries. Another close friend was playing around on his daughter's scooter - one of those you can't even license. No helmet needed, right? He slipped in some gravel and fell, hitting his head on the street. Later, he laid down on the sofa complaining of a headache. That evening his wife came home from church and found him dead from internal bleeding in his brain. I could go on...but let's talk about seatbelts. Recently a police officer was killed in a violent collision here in Idaho. He wasn't wearing a seatbelt. Someone - a relative of his - wrote an editorial stating that this police officer felt he could not respond to an emergency quick enough if he had to disengage a seatbelt. Are you kidding me? He would be alive right now if he had worn a seatbelt. Let's pray that other officers aren't of the same belief as this guy. Finally a word on proper training and equipment. No matter what you get around in - a car, motorcycle, airplane, or bicycle - Invest in the training necessary to be an expert at whatever you are operating. Do whatever the law requires - and then do more. I have taken many hours of on-the-track and classroom training for riding a motorcycle - my life depends on it. I take the bike in regularly for a qualified mechanic to check from one end to the other - my life depends on it. I wear a helmet, jacket, pants, gloves, and boots - over $1000 of safety gear - ecery time I ride - my life depends on it. It's a dangerous world out there, so I pay a lot of attention to my surroundings. I don't text, listen to music, or talk on the phone - my life depends on it. when I drive a car or truck, I wear a seatbelt - I always have. And you know what? I don't feel restricted in any way. I feel safer, I'm more alert, yet relaxed knowing that I'm properly trained and experienced, and if something goes wrong, I feel protected. I can always buy a new bike ,a new car, and new riding gear - I can't buy back my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment